I found my "Superhero"

    Every "Superhero" has an archenemy or a powerful villain; Superman has Lex Luthor, Batman has the Joker, the Green Hornet has "Mr Big"  Each of these comic book characters possess something that has made them more powerful than the average person - though they also have weaknesses.  In the case of Superman, he is energized by the sun but he is also susceptible to the powerful force of radiation from kryptonite, which makes him extremely ill and can cause him to die - except if it is blocked with impenetrable lead.

The good vs. evil concept didn't start in the media. It has been present since the beginning of creation - God's power vs Satan's evil. Just like each comic issue, episode or superhero movie, there are times in our lives when there is a problem or situation that threatens our well-being or peace. These are the times that require action - Superhero action.

"Wonder Woman's" powers consist of  a lasso of truth which forces those bound by it to tell the truth, a pair of indestructible bracelets that can deflect bullets and a tiara on her head which serves as a projectile. As a Christian woman I realize I am not much different!

My lasso of truth is my Bible. When my thoughts are attacked by the enemy, I need only read my Bible and he is submissive to the truth. But the accuser doesn't give up...he will find ways of sneaking up on us at our weakest moments, especially when we are stressed, tired, hungry, run down, or overworked. He shoots us with his accusations about how we're not good enough, we don't deserve to achieve our desires, dreams and goals, and a plethora of other accusatory thoughts that can become as crippling to us as kryptonite was to Superman...but wait!

When there's a battle I don't need lead, better yet I have "Superhero" armor that can deflect those accusations...I have the armor of God! It says in Ephesians 6:10-12 KJV, "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." I am glad to know that I have the "whole" armor of God - way more powerful than a few bracelets!

Unlike superheroes, as a Christian I don't need to wear a disguise. I thank God, not just because after five kids I would look terrible in the skimpy costume and spandex, but because I am free to be the best ME that I can be. I also know that because He is the King and I am his daughter...that means the enemy should look out because I still get to wear the tiara!

Just like superheroes fight villains with supernatural "stronger" abilities or powers, we too are offered a "supernatural" power that is freely available to those who seek it by accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior....and for those that don't.... well there's always "Stupor Duck!"


No comments:

Post a Comment