My Plan or God's Plan?

There are times in my life when I cruise through each day believing I know what is in store for the next day, the next week and the next month. I plan ahead as much as possible and have my day planner handy at all times to document my activities. Most of the time the system seems to work, but not ALL the time, as I’ve experienced lately. The road of life is full of bumps, potholes, detours and U-turns and I haven’t quite found a way to work those into my day planner! 

Our comfort and security comes from familiarity and having a sense of knowing that tomorrow will be fairly predictable. We resist change because it makes us uncomfortable. God on the other hand, likes us to be out of our comfort zones. When we are out of our comfort zone we rely on our faith. We seek our comfort from God. We take the time to try and evaluate what God’s plan is for our lives. Our relationship with Him is strengthened, so it’s no wonder He wants us out of our comfort zone!
 
At one time or another, the challenge we all face is whether we are following our plan or God’s plan. I know if I follow my own plan there will be little or no discomfort. I don’t totally disregard God’s plan but I know I will follow the path of least resistance. Our human nature, if given a choice, will usually take the easy road vs. the difficult road. We call it the “road less traveled” for a good reason. Then, as in my case, a single event or decision can shift your whole perspective. 

Many years ago, God planted the seeds of greatness into the hearts of my husband and myself. For 10 years we have set personal and business success goals, prayed over those goals and asked God’s help to attain them. We’ve taken the steps necessary to reach our goals. The easy steps but not the difficult steps! We’ve done the comfortable things but avoided the uncomfortable. We invested time when it fit into our schedules but we didn’t schedule the time necessary to complete our goals. We’ve stepped out of our comfort zone numerous times along the way but easily got comfortable again. We have followed our plan long enough. Hebrews 12:1-2, states “let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross.” 

In God’s infinite wisdom, He gave us the opportunity to make a series of decisions to get REALLY uncomfortable and follow His plan. In a complete step of faith and with a lot of prayer, we’ve decided to give up our material signs of success, so we can complete God’s success plan for our lives. Making the decision to “sell out” was scary, yet surprisingly freeing. By letting go of the things that trap us, we are able to seek what is truly important in life. We’re running the race with perseverance, our eyes fixed on Jesus. How glorious the finish will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment